Today BOH receives the 18th free update, a massive update that closes its almost 11 years long development life, brings new features, new missions (for a total of 100!), and countless other improvements, and earns the game the ADVANCE tag.
The update is performed by installing the new version over the old one using the supplied installer.
* Labelled "ADVANCE".
* Added 23 new missions:
* most of them are very easy to average;
* many of them are based on unusual and different design/logic;
* some of them make use of the new features introduced by this update;
* some of them are multi-phase and multi-mission.
* Fixed/improved pre-existing missions (also making use of the new features).
* Increased the chances of finding a recharge in explosive objects from 25% to 33%.
* Added levels labels.
* Added disabling of message points.
* Avoided teleporting of the EM to the same square of the RM or a square too close to it, even when the RM is on a square which does not have walkable squares around (this avoids multiple consecutive collisions that quickly drain the shield).
* Avoided that damage is done to the shield while an enemy is hit (this, in practice, fixes for good the repeated EM-RM collisions issue that, in rare cases, might have caused an almost instant death).
* Made auto-orientation of connected staircases choose the best orientation context-wise and RM-wise.
* Added a rendered-on-the-fly background to mission information and pause screens.
* Excluded video modes with dimensions bigger than the desktop's.
* Replaced stars with thumbs-up icons for resolutions.
* Allowed handling of special events/keys while displaying a notice.
* Removed joypad thumbsticks support.
* Reworked controls reconfiguration:
* added end notification;
* changed joypad actions;
* removed aborting by means of [ESCAPE];
* removed overlapping of button and keys flags;
* made other changes.
* Improved themes settings:
* reworked configuration handling;
* added [F2] for quick switching.
* Improved themes:
* touched up wallpapers of the themes "Sci-Fi" and "Underground";
* fixed/improved rotating lamp graphics in the themes "C64" and "Sci-Fi".
* handling of levels lighting;
* allocation and referencing of enemies objects;
* EM spawning and AI;
* universal function for the interpolated rotation of BGRA graphics;
* tiles handling module;
* controls handling;
* screenshot grabbing;
* SDL initialization;
* some code bits here and there.
* Replaced Mix_Volume() with Mix_Pause() + Mix_Resume() to (un)pause sounds when the game gets (un)paused (this hopefully fixes the occasional sounds corruption on Windows).
* Fixed picking up of the aiming device (the check was broken, so it was possible to pick it up multiple times).
* Fixed printing of the levels number (the last digit of levels (-)100-109 was not printed).
* Fixed loop counters usage in m_CreateMap() to allow more than 65535 permanent animations.
* Fixed disappearing of information in the menu when an alphanumeric key was pressed (the handler returned an action insted of doing nothing).
* Fixed error message and the log file name reported by the records submission.
* Fixed work path on Windows (%TMP% was statically expanded at compile time).
* Adapted code to the latest version of the custom framework the game is built on.
* Improved icons:
* added more icons;
* touched up graphics;
* added icon size choice to the AmigaOS and AROS installers;
* fixed MacOs and Windows icons sizes.
* Fixed/improved/updated user's and developer's manuals.
* Reworked/updated artwork.
* Fixed/improved installers.
* Made other minor changes/improvements/optimizations.